Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday's Newsflash - The Colosseum is Leaning

I'm back! Well, technically, I'm back for few days already but this is my first post after the trip, so, you get what I mean. I'll get to the details of my one week Vietnam exploration soon (and boys, was it damn fun!), but first, a little bit of news in the travelling section. London is the hot topic now with the Olympic is proceeding so I'll skip those news. Instead, let's focus on Italy for the famous Colosseum is apparently leaning ala the leaning tower of Pisa!


Before you go into panic mode and buy air flight to see the famous monument, the officials in Rome stated that while the ancient amphitheater is indeed leaning slightly, there is no danger associated to the complex and it is still very stable. Apparently, the south side of the structure is 40cm lower than the north part and the Italian medias were on alert, creating furrows about how the Colosseum is in danger. Well, now that the Italian government already issued a statement about it, we can rest assure that this gladiator battleground will still be standing for a long time.

In fact, the Colosseum will be undergoing massive renovation for the first time in 73 years. The renovation project will start in December until 2015 and once it's done, more areas will be accessible by the public. As at now, only about one third of the complex opens for public's exploration. Renovation will be in stages. Therefore, the Colosseum will not be closed entirely during the process.

You can read more about the news here. I'll be back soon with my trip to Vietnam!

No comments:

Post a Comment