Thursday, January 2, 2014

Philippines - Arrival in Clark and Off to Manila

Today's the second day of a brand new year! How's it been going for you? Well, I realize my lazy bone will most likely my biggest setback in achieving my resolutions for the year. Well, I simply have to overcome it.

Let's start a new travelogue in this new year and coincidentally, it was the fourth day of Chinese New Year when I was on AirAsia on my way to Philippines. I have a precise objection for my Philippines trip and it all has to do with the UNESCO Heritage Sites in the country. First off, I want to visit the Baroque Churches the country is famous for as well as the historic town of Vigan, one of the few Spanish colonial towns in Asia.

Local mode of transportation, jeepney

It took 4 hours from Kuala Lumpur to reach Diosdado Macapagal International Airport in Clark, Philippines. When the whole immigration process was over, I took a bus ride to Manila, which is about 2 hours away. Located in Angeles City in Pampanga province, Central Luzon, this was the landing ground for AirAsia back then. However, since Zest Air has been taken over by the airline company, there are now direct flights to Manila itself.

Once I reached Pasay Terminal in Manila, I began my exploration in the capital city for just a few hours for I had another flight to catch later that day to Laoag, Ilocos Norte. More on that later. My first stop, Intramuros. In fact, this ancient walled city was my playground on both the first and the last day in Philippines.

Train to Central Station

I took the Strong Republic Transit System (SRTS), their version of our LRT in Kuala Lumpur, from EDSA Station to Central Station, where Intramuros is within walking distance. I stumbled upon Manila Central Post Office on my way there and since I was already there, why not stop by and buy some stamps for my postcards. I'll continue later on the sights in Intramuros in the next post.

Manila Central Post Office at the background

*TO BE CONTINUED*

Sharing is caring. A word of advice and a piece of information.

AirAsia Philippines provides free shuttle bus service from Clark airport to Marquee Mall and Dau bus terminal and vice versa. From there, you will be able to find buses to Metro Manila. Bus fare from Marquee Mall and Dau bus terminal is at a much lower rate. There is also direct buses to the capital city from Clark airport through Philtranco bus company for PHP 450 (RM 35) one way.

No comments:

Post a Comment