Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Ho Chi Minh City - Saigon Saigon Bar

It has always been my intention to go to one of the many rooftop bars in Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) and with so many selections to choose from, you are bound to leave some amazing gems untouched, waiting to be explored in the next visit. Such is my case with so few nights set in the city.

I had been doing my researches months before my trip and I came across a number of widely-acclaimed rooftop bars in the city. Each of these eateries/bars in downtown Saigon offers different experience and city views and this makes choosing a lot harder. However tough it may be, I managed to make my decision and after my 2 hours city tour, I went to the ninth floor of the Caravelle Hotel to have a refreshing sip at Saigon Saigon Bar.

Caravelle Hotel at the background

Saigon Saigon Bar welcomes you...

A little bit of history about the hotel thanks to the great tool known as the Internet. Opened for the public for the first time on Christmas Eve in 1959, Caravelle Hotel had become the center of communication during Vietnam War where embassies as well as communication stations made their bases there to report back to their home countries of the status of the war. Back then, with its 10-storey, it was the tallest building in Saigon. While the glory is no longer there what with the skyscrapers gracing the skyline, Caravelle Hotel  still packs quite a sight.

The sun was still up shining brightly when I was at the bar

As for the bar itself, it is its charm that set Saigon Saigon Bar from the rest of the rooftop bars in the city. With its mere nine floors up, you are away from the hustle and bustle but your view of the city is still far from miniscule, giving off the feeling that you are still part of the crowd. Sitting by the balcony overlooking the scooters reigning the streets, with the sun setting right at the background, nothing can end the day more perfectly than this. 

Sitting idly while watching the crowds go by...

As the sun goes down...

...the sky's palette is transforming beautifully

During my visit to the bar, there were barely a crowd which is an oddity but this makes it even better for you get to choose the table with the best view, or at least, second best. Maybe it was still early, maybe it was the weekday. For whatever reasons it may be, I was happy to have the whole place by myself.

Wonderful reviews are said about the cocktails in Saigon Saigon Bar but being a cheapskate, I opted for the cheaper but refreshing La Rue to cool down the heat of the day. As I watched the sun bidding farewell, I thought, what a wonderful way to end my first day (officially, second). 

Complimentary snacks accompanied my La Rue

My last stop for the day? Ben Thanh night market.

Bidding you a good day

*TO BE CONTINUED*

Sharing is caring. A word of advice and a piece of information.

Saigon Saigon Bar is located at the ninth floor of Caravelle Hotel. Famous for its delicious cocktails, drinks in the bar are rather pricey, though, bear in mind that you are paying for a beautiful view of the city as well as the relaxing atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment